Monday, December 21, 2009

Days of Intention - Day Two: Post or Hack

Scenario:

Either via a friend or at a stables, I would like to spend at least a day spent tacking up, taking a refresher lesson and/or going out for a pleasure hack. I would then come back, cool the horse down and give him a curry (a brushing, not an Indian takeaway).

I used to take riding lessons when I was younger and have even had the opportunity to ride on a few of my travels. But I miss it and, as my riding lesson in Ireland reminded me, I'm woefully out of riding shape. I still have my boots, my jodphurs are around somewhere and I need some new gloves. I live in an area that is known as horse country. Why am I not riding more?

Oh yeah, I don't make or feel like I have the time. That needs to change and fast. I need to find a place where I can get back on the horse - literally and figuratively.

Yep, I'll be sore and tired and dirty. And, dammit, I'll be happier for it I know I don't have the time to properly own and care for a horse, but I'm going to use the next crisp sunny day to find a horse that needs some attention and spend some time with him.

Ideal date:

September 18th

Definitions:
Posting: To rise and fall in rhythm with the horse's movement at a trot. Posting helps the horse stay in balance and the rider from bouncing on the horse's back causing discomfort to them both.
Hack: Either a slow pleasurable trail ride, or a horse used for leisurely rides. A more archaic use is as a horse rented out for riding.

Image via Flickr by yOOrek


2 comments:

WendyB said...

I like this series of posts...personally, I'm utterly demoralized right now. Can you envision something for me? I can't seem to do it for myself.

Poochie said...

I have one in mind for you/us... coming soon!