Thursday, January 9, 2014

Picking on SJP - SJP Shoes at Nordstrom

So I'm going to do the potentially unthinkable for a shoe blogger... I'm going to diss on the upcoming SJP shoe collection from Sarah Jessica Parker and Nordstrom.

No really.

After seeing the recently released shots from Glamour, I have to admit I'm not impressed.  From what I've seen the designs aren't that spectacular and the quality and workmanship does not seem to justify an average $350 (and up!) price point.

Let's start with the Diana.  Interesting strap placement.  Very Maison Martin Margiela and Prada Fall 2012... mixed with the iconic Manolo Blahnik Campari (you know, the "urban shoe myth" although no longer), don't you think?




But that's to be expected when your partner is the president of Manolo Blahnik.

I'll be eager to see the shoes in person to see how the quality nets out but the pictures don't wow me.  The red Lady pump is b-o-r-i-n-g.  Even with the ribbon accent.  That lackluster heel just makes me yawn.



The Carrie is pretty but reminds me of a  Dior pump from a few years back.  I don't know.  It's just not anything special (Want to see a great t-strap? Check out these Gucci ones)


Who plopped that polyester (maybe it's silk, who's to know yet) on that boring bridesmaid heel? If the flower was in a shocking bright color and had a thinner heel, I'd be more interested in the Etta but not for $425 to be sure.


$200 for plain canvas espadrilles? No.


This is the one that actually pisses me off though.  The top image is the SJP Alison bootie.  How much has it ripped off the Ann Demeulesmeester open front ankle strap bootie? Um yeah... a lot.


That's pretty horrible, if you ask me. Maybe I should do a special Imitation = Flattery? post just for that pair.

I've seen other sneak peek images online but from what I've seen, I'm not going to be running out to get a pair from the SJP collection.  Bummer, too.  Sarah Jessica Parker could have brought some of her and the SATC fashion flair to this line.  But mostly they look like a boring miss-mash of knock-offs and boring bridal heels.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love those brown booties, not that I ever could or would wear them. I agree that there seems to be a lot of knockoffs and that the shoes are too expensive. Doesn't SJP have a store or clothing line where nothing is over $20? I believe there's a store in San Francisco, but maybe elsewhere, too.

Brigit said...

Something tells me you won't be alone, Poochie. None of what is being shown is inspiring and the knock-off Demeulesmeester boots have none of what makes the originals so unique. The thick and extended sole, extruded heel cap and beautifully shaped leather. Sarah really missed the mark on this collection and should be more careful with her brand. Especially if it involves a direct and diminutive imitation of a more seasoned designer.