Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Anna Sui & Gossip Girl for Target

On Sunday I went to Target to see if any of the Anna Sui "Gossip Girl" were in stock at my local place. I had looked at everything that was online but the creme lace dress wasn't in stock anymore so I thought I would give it a shot. I had put a bunch of the dresses in my shopping cart but thought it would be best to check them out in person if they wred there.

Well, there were a number of pieces in my local store... not that you would know it. There wasn't much in the way of signage. I flipped through the 3 racks of dresses and shirts and frankly, wasn't all that impressed.

Check it out.



I really don't "get" some of the pieces. And a lot of it seemed very poorly/cheaply made. I know we are at Target here folks, but compared to some of the earlier Go International pieces, the quality is down and the prices are way up.

But I thought I would give it a shot. I tried on the silk wrap dress, the houndstooth jacquard dress, the metallic grey "feather" sequin dress, and the herringbone dress.

The feather sequin dress fit really weird. The bottom belled out but was a bit tight up top. The sequins were very uncomfortable and the v-neck was very low cut.

The herringbone dress was okay but a bit stiff and not that flattering to me.

The silk dress was flattering and the pattern and fabric were okay. But I didn't really think it was worth $60 and as it was very lightweight, being silk, I didn't think I would wear it much during the Fall and Winter, which is what I am lookin for.






I did like the houndstooth jacquard dress the best. It's much more purple than it shows in the picture online. It also seems to be the best made. I considered it but at $70, I'm going to wait a while and see if I can get this on sale later. I just didn't want spend the money right now.



Overall the line did not impress me. I didn't like the shirts at all, especially the tulle tied one or the stupid acronym one. WTF was that about?

The most interesting thing are the billboard totes. I think I may end up getting one of these. They're cool and graphic and colorful.




I continue to be disappointed with these collaborations. These are great designers that should really be bringing a unique element and a high quality to a mass merchandiser but in the end they are horrible.
Is it Target doing it or is it the designers dumbing things down so much thinking that the mass retail audience won't appreciate their real work. I don't know. All I do know is that I won't really be buying any.



4 comments:

Lisa said...

Thanks for the review and the videos; it really gave me a sense of what the quality bar was like for these pieces without having to cross the border and check them out myself in a Target. How disappointing that this collection didn't live up to expectations. :-(

seberu said...

LOL, I love your commentary on the video. You should do more!

Poochie said...

Thanks! I'm glad it was helpful. I'll try to improve on the sound too. But, yep! More videos to happen in the future here.

Anonymous said...

I'm in complete agreement on the designer collaborations. The only one I bought anything from was Jonathan Saunders, and that was when the dresses were 75% off! Mostly, it skews too young, everything is too short, tight, shiny or silly, and always too expensive for what it is.