Friday, September 18, 2009

Lela Rose for Payless - Spring 2010

As we've seen, the designer & mass merchandiser collaborations have been kind of sucking lately. Which is really disappointing because there is great opportunity to do cute design at a mass-retail level.

And we know it's doable. The Mizrahi collection did it well for a number of years at Target. Heck, Merona and Mossimo have done well there for ages too. I've bought tons of clothes and shoes from there.

But it's really changed lately. Either they've had to cut back on design & quality due to economic conditions or they really don't think we'll notice.

Well, people are noticing. I'm sure that's why they've changed the whole Go International program. Of course, it becomes a vicious cycle - we don't buy it, they cheapen it up to cut costs, so we don't buy it, etc.

Luckily there is one collaboration that seems to at least be making an effort and that I still think is doing a good job - Lela Rose for Payless.

I often get the snob label placed on me, especially when it comes to shoes. That I only like or buy expensive stuff. And frankly, that's not true at all. I totally judge each shoe individually. If I like (or don't like) the looks of a shoe, I don't care who makes it. And I have to say, most of the time, I'm a fan of this line.

And the Spring 2010 collection seems like it will have several pieces that I will want to get. My favorite is this style called Bently in a really pretty citrine fabric and twist bow.



The other colors are really pretty too... fuchsia, stone, taupe...







I really hope they keep the height they were shown in. Payless does tend to "tone down" the designs between runway and store and I really wish they wouldn't.

I also really like the casual and sort of preppy wedge sandal Ashland which comes in cute combos like the black and white gingham with green accents, the cross-hatched circles with taupe and the modern geometric pattern with black.


The Zephyr cross-strap sandal is cute too, especially the delicate ankle straps.




I like the citrine pattern again but also the solids in the fuchsia and navy.






There are a few other styles that are cute too, including a multi-strap wedge and a elegant heeled sandal, so check them out here.

I'm really looking forward to trying them on. The styles will be available in February per the site.


11 comments:

Ashe Mischief said...

I really love the wedge on the latter pairs... there's something really clean and striking about it.

Jess said...

the ones with the bows in front are really cute! and i agree, i don't like when payless 'tones it down'

Heather said...

LOVE the Ashland. How long until spring?! :) Thanks for posting these!

WendyB said...

You know Lela worked for Christian Francis Roth back in the day, right?

Intrinsically Florrie said...

Oh how I adore that first style of shoe! I've never seen Payless for sale but have a feeling I'm going to have to track these down. They're so ladylike. I think the fuschia and stone would suit my skintone best.

Just lovely.

Florrie s

Anonymous said...

Totally agree on the colabs going south. Your theory on the waning quality sounds pretty spot on.

All of these are wonderful! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed as well that the heel height remains. Unfortunately Payless does tend to tame the runway previews. Sigh. I wish they would just get it.

Jennifer Nicole said...

I love the "wedgles" on those last pairs, and yes, that heel height has GOT to stay!!

Midtown Girl said...

I agree with the design element as well - just took a peek at C. Siriano's line for Payless - the design is nice but nothing super fab...was expecting so much more!

XOXO MG

Dog Friendly Dallas said...

How do you deal with cheap shoes that have 4" + heel height and no cushioning / platform though? I have liked the look of some of those Payless shoes but they are so high and uncomfortable. Same with a lot of Target's heels. I assume that $$$ designer heels have a lot better engineering, is that true?

TheShoeGirl said...

OMG!!!! Those are shockingly great!!!! :)

Poochie said...

Wendy - I remember you saying that. She must have learned well!

j-t - They don't make them as high in real life when they go to production, sadly. You are right, higer end brands usually are better architected so a higher heel is more comfortable, but the LR pieces are not too bad at all. I haven't worn them to walk a long distance but they're pretty good.


Florrie - you may not seen them in your local store depending on where you live. Not all stores get the "designer" brands (like mine!). But you can order them and have them shipped for free to your local store and then go pick them up. What's great is, if you don't like them at that point, you can return them right there at the cash register and not have to ship them back. It takes a bit longer but its free shipping to and from.