Monday, September 28, 2009

What's Wrong With This Picture?

Not only is what we are now calling "Gargoyle Toe" becoming rampant on the streets (as evidenced almost daily on Jak & Jil) but more and more on the runways as well.



I understand that there are a lot of last minute changes in what models are wearing what but with the ever-increasing importance and focus on the accessories showcased as they walk down the runway, I find it hard to believe that this is not distracting.

Then there are those designers who understand the importance of the fit and the shoes to the collection. The Prada and Miu Miu shows are my favorites because they pay attention to and even celebrate these details.

But sadly, I have to say I was not a fan of the latest Prada shoes presented. After being enthralled for the past few seasons I was more disturbed by the shoes and what was done to the model's toenails.



At first I thought there was just some issues with several of the model's nails but then I saw they were clear overlays and intentional!



Perhaps I not getting it but I've never liked the overly long nail look on hands or feet. I don't even think a French Pedicure look is good because it is meant to imitate longer nails. So this I just don't get.

While I understand this is part of the fantasy and style of the show, do you feel it enhances the design and overall collection?


Images via Vogue and Style.com

14 comments:

WendyB said...

Nothing in these pictures is remotely attractive.

Anonymous said...

agreed - the French pedi is truly gross

Anonymous said...

that's just so...bizarre. i hate french pedicures in general, but that clear one is extra weird on top of it.

delete this said...

They are gross and look trashy not fashionable.

Ashe Mischief said...

BLEHHHHHH. OH GOD. Not for post-lunch viewing :(

Michelle said...

Oh my - the toe overhang is bad enough, but WHY would someone do clear acrylic toe overlays?! Eesh. It made me shudder just looking at it.

jennine said...

omg... i have been seeing these all over the place! awful! just awful!

that said, i'm intreagued by the clear nails... maybe for my hands though, and only if they were cut straight not crooked like we see on these snaggletoes.

Lisa said...

Strange. Maybe the clear overlay is meant to echo the clear panels in the shoes? I'm not a fan of overly long fingernails and toenails either.

Jesika Lin said...

ugh gargoyle toe!! such a pet peeve of mine as well as heel overhang, especially since i used to sell shoes and know that no shoe salesperson should let a person walk out in ill fitting shoes! nor should designers send their models on the runway with them... its unhealthy for your body AND looks terrible!

Mary P. said...

Agreed. Those nails are - eww.

Market Publique said...

Gross!!! Gargoyle toes are a great name for it.

I agree- cut your toenails, cut your toenail clear stick-ons, and get rid of the french mani on the toes (actually on the hands too, what is this 1996?)

Retro Chick said...

Oh my. Those stick ons are truly foul.

Why would you want to look like you can't be bothered to trim your nails?

Kinseroo said...

Those toe nails are just horrible!
I hate the over hang aswell, I work in a shoe shop and so many people came in over the summer wearing flipflops with their toes hanging over the end-how is that comfortable?!x

Courtney said...

All I can say is.... EWWWWWWWWW!!!!!