Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Extra! Extra!

Well, I guess it had to end sometime, but I for one am really surprised - Target and Mizrahi will be partners no more!



According to Target.com, the five year partnership is ending as Isaac goes to be creative director at Liz Claiborne -


Target and Isaac Mizrahi Announce End of Partnership

MINNEAPOLIS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 15, 2008--Target Corporation and Isaac Mizrahi are ending their contract after partnering for five years on the Isaac Mizrahi for Target collection. Mizrahi has accepted a new opportunity as creative director for the Liz Clairborne brand at Liz Clairborne Inc.

"Target has been a fabulous partner for the past five years, allowing me to make my designs available to every woman, everywhere. Together we built an amazing business and trail-blazed the hi/low fashion concept. I am now looking forward to this new opportunity with Liz Claiborne, Inc." said Mizrahi.

Trish Adams, senior vice president, merchandising, Target said, "We've had a great partnership with Isaac. We're excited that he has this new opportunity and wish him all the best in the future. Like our partnership with Isaac, all of our designers including our GO and limited-edition accessories designers help Target make great design available and accessible to everyone."

The Isaac Mizrahi for Target collection made its debut in 2003 with a line of women's apparel, accessories and shoes. It will continue to be available exclusively in select Target stores and at Target.com through the end of 2008.



I'm really surprised they would let this franchise go since they have his items in every category. And I hope the move is a lucrative one for Mizrahi because I, for one, could give a rat's ass about Liz Claiborne. Yuck! I'd rather buy less expensive at Target than boring nicer at Macy's. He'll have an up-hill battle with that brand. I don't think it quite caters to the same whimiscal demographic he was reaching through Target.



I'm going to miss the wit of my faux bois skirt and that giant peony print. I hope they can find someone to create even better and as fun items.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sigh - there will be no reason to go to Target without Isaac's clothing and shoes. They may sign another equally talented designer, but they will never replace him.

alm said...

Meh. Due to vanity sizing his clothes at Target rarely, rarely fit me.

Danielle said...

I'm sad. I read that one at the end of last week and I'm just sad. It was he, after all, that started the whole designer-mass-market collaboration. And to go to Liz Fugborne. Ugh.

I will definitely miss the giant peony print. Heck, my shower curtain is Mizrahi!

Je suis tres desolee. Maybe Tom Ford will take his place.

Poochie said...

Ha! Or Alexander McQueen.

Dare to dream.

I'm not sure who would be a good pairing for them. They need to have that same fun and accessible personality. Galliano maybe?