Saturday, January 12, 2008

More Marimekko.... or Not?

So I got an email today from Neiman Marcus promoting what new from the European Designers. And it stopped me dead in my tracks because her is another Marimekko patterned item.

Or is it?



According to further research, the Manolo heels are a part of an official pairing between the two design houses (Thank goodness! I was worried this was not official. I knew our Manolo wouldn't be up to no good.)

But, apparently these Dolce and Gabbana pieces are NOT.



What the heck is going on here? It's not like this is a subtle, barely recognizable pattern that could be any floral print, this is an iconic design that's been around for 40 years. Did someone really think they could "get away with it"? There is no way to claim ignorance about the similarities.

I love the dress. It's adorable. But I'm completely shocked that D&G would create this and that Neiman Marcus/Bergdorfs would sanction selling it.



It's not like I'm buying D&G every day but I'm definetly not going to be purchasing from them now.

More links:

Official Marimekko and Manolo press release

More on the Manolo Blahnik S/S 2008 inspiration

D&G Poppy Print Dress at Neiman Marcus

D&G Poppy Print Bustier at Neiman Marcus


Related links - knock-offs:

Miu Miu knocks off Louboutin

Steve Madden and Target

Chloe and Nine West

Target and French Sole

Steve Madden and Miu Miu

No comments: