Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A New Designer? Kira Plastinina

I may be totally out of the loop and horribly old fashioned, but not only had I never heard of Kira Plastinina but, now that I have, I'm kind of appalled.



It seems Miss Plastinina is a 15 year old Russian girl who has fashioned herself a "designer" and has somehow been able to create her own line and open almost 30 stores in Russian. She also has plans to open stores in the US this year.

Okay, I know how she was able to do this. And I don't think it's because she's some amazing talent or a fashion prodigy. It just so happens her father is worth something to the tune of $700 million.


Thanks, Daddy!

Her clothes are, obviously, targeted at the tween-teen-twenty-year-old, with lots of pink and purple, cutesy hearts and lots of bows and ruffles. What appalls me the most is not the fact that she really thinks she is a designer of the caliber of other trained designers, but that mainstream news and other fashion media are actually giving her coverage.



Here's your opportunity to check out all the pink shiny fabulosity. BTW, what is wrong with those models. They can't walk the runway at all. Dang.




Sadly, although obviously, the poor girl has decided that yet another useless celebutant is her fashion icon and has decided to design clothes that appeal to her tastes. Awesome. I really can't wait to see more younger girls embracing Paris-frickin'-Hilton as their muse.



And just like here in the US, it's not surprising that kids with more money than talent are able to play at designing. What's worse, is that there are those who embrace it, which will cheapen the entire industry.

Learn More:

Kira Plastina's site

Miss Couturable's take on privileged kids and the fashion industry

3 comments:

Danielle said...

*shudder* It looks like Bobby Trendy exploded in there.

"More money than talent" hit the nail on the head. When you have to pay Paris Hilton $2M to sit in the front row... something strange is afoot at the Circle K.

Noel said...

I must say, the Paris Hilton ordeal is rather terrible. I would be SO embarrassed if I had to pay $2 million for Paris to come to my show.

Anonymous said...

What a shame AND a hot mess! And are her clothes NOT to be worn with a bra? Just checking.