Saturday, November 22, 2008

All Wrapped Up

I've always wondered why things that are meant to be functional can't also be beautiful.

One of my biggest peeves is when you see a product that is designed to disguise or cover up something functional and needed but ugly. For example those tacky fake plastic "rocks" used to cover meters. Usually you see these right in the middle of an empty suburban lawn. Who are we kidding with these? Why can't companies just make the meters better looking? Ugh!

Okay, sorry for the rant....

Anyway, after seeing Lady Coveted's coverage on "medic esthetic-inspired" shoes you could begin to see how this could be done. Take typically utilitarian materials and look at it in a new way. Make it beautiful. The pieces showcased in Gwendolyn Huskens' show were for a show but what if we embraced the simple beauty of the materials themselves. And brought some of that back to when they were used for their original purposes?



Okay, I think I'm letting my advertising/design background carry me away.

What I also thought when I saw these images was... "I would totally wear some of those, especially that bandage-bootie!"

And now I can.

I'm seriously kind of in love with these Toms wrap boots.



I'm not quite sure where I will wear them, but I think I need to have them. They look cozy and comforting and stretchy and weird.



Maybe I just want to look cool (& hot!) like Padme....



... or Luke? I'm a child of the era, so it's hard to say.




More on Gwendolyn

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh dude, who doesn't want the bandage boots...esp worn like padme...
;)

WendyB said...

I think you should wear Leia's slave girl bikini.

Anonymous said...

That is excellent.

Anonymous said...

Those heels are gorgeous.
o ya i love this trend!