Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Designer Focus - Elizabeth Olsen of olsen Haus

The other day I was flipping through a new magazine and came upon an article featuring these really cool shoes. They were graphic and eccentric with a sexy, sometimes 80s vibe to them. I love the delicate shapes and unique use of color and mixed materials.

I hadn't heard of the designer before, Elizabeth Olsen, so I decided to check out her label olsen Haus. The site featured her online look book for Fall 08 - Spring 09 and I was smitten by a whole slew of her pieces.

Check them out:





























Pretty neat, huh?
I really liked her "mixed media" techniques and the metallic paint splatter styles. The shoes appeal to my classic shape but unique materials style.
What's even better????
Surprising I know. But it shouldn't be, right?
It's great that we're seeing more and more stylish cruelty-free options. I know this is something I struggle with as we've been changing our lifestyle. Either the shoes/accessories are too "casual" or they are kind of pricey. I applaud designers and companies like Stella McCartney and Te Casan with the Natalie Portman collection to bring a more designer look to this arena. But the prices have been exorbitant.
I still like pretty shoes and want pretty shoes. I'll probably still buy shoes that are not 100% vegan. But as the vegan options grow, I'm seeing more great styles I like. Like these.

And I feel
Elizabeth is living her beliefs in an authentic way. She is committed to seeing and being a change in the world. How can I not want to support that?
So yes, these shoes support our beliefs (I like putting my money towards companies I am aligned with) but, heck!. these are just hot shoes.
olsen Haus shoes, these styles and more, can be purchased online and stores around the world.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn those are hot.

Dog Friendly Dallas said...

I really love the shape of the closed toe ones!

Anonymous said...

Love those shoes - it's great to see some cute vegan shoes :) Thanks for the post!

Anonymous said...

Great site, I like the yellow pair with the splash of white paint.

Light Stealer said...

They're all nice, but pair in picture 9 I just luv them!

Anonymous said...

o ya i love this trend!

Michelle said...

I LOVE the very last pair! The contrast is awesome!

I also love that vegan shoes have now become so pretty, too!

I found a site, http://www.neuaurashoes.com
that has some really cute styles as well!

Michelle said...

Great looking shoes!

Another great site for vegan shoes is http://www.vegetarianshoesandbags.com/

Not only do they have great looking shoes, they also have great looking boots and handbags!

AND one more reason to check them out is that they are running a free Shoes for a Year sweepstakes, good now through December 5.

The lucky winner gets a free pair of shoes every month for all of 2009. Entries are made each time a purchase is made, however no purchase is necessary. Anyone can go to the site to enter ONCE at http://www.vegetarianshoesandbags.com/vegansweepstakes/freeshoesforayear.aspx . They won't accept duplicate entries at this address, however.