Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Buyer Beware: Vivienne Westwood Melissas

If you are considering buying a pair or Melissa's Lady Dragon Vivienne Westwood shoes, especially via eBay, you have to go over and read Michelle's post on Decline Designs.

She is currently in the middle of a mess with a pair of counterfeit Melissa's and gives a great breakdown and comparison of the real vs. the authentic.



I contributed some photos of my blue and red pair to show a side by side comparison.

Make sure you educate yourself on what you are buying on eBay before you jump in. Especially since eBay and PayPal are notorious (in my opinion) for making it difficult to dispute won auctions.

I put a bunch of detail shots of mine in my Flickr set, so you can get better views there.

6 comments:

Laura said...

I almost bought these in store, but I felt they ran really really big. Did you think that?

www.glammed.blogspot.com

Poochie said...

Yes, they do. I'd say they are at least a full size off for me if not more. It's quite sad actually.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I would have never suspected that they would counterfeit Melissa shoes of all things. I bought my pair from Epaulet, thank god, but I did consider buying them from eBay earlier when they were out of stock...

And yes, they run very big elledee! Good for me (I am a big foot and my 11s fit into a 10, which is their biggest size), but perhaps not good for the rest of the world...

WendyB said...

Ugh, hate counterfeits. I used to have fun reporting Vuitton counterfeits to eBay. It was my hobby.

kristophine said...

Wow--I actually search for Melissa shoes on Ebay on a fairly regular basis, and I thought it was odd and kind of suspicious that there were so many for sale, but I didn't realize it was such a well-established phenomenon.

Michelle said...

Thank you for the link! :D I'm oping to get the word out to as many people as possible.

Goldenmeans, that's what struck me. The thought of the shoes being counterfeit never even crossed my mind, even after I was disappointed with the quality. It almost makes me wonder if the counterfeitters strategically picked Melissa since they're still hard to find in the US and a lot of people have never seen them in person.