Monday, July 21, 2008

Mining Ebay


I was talking with a co-worker today about whether the shoes I "invest" in could retain any of the value (aka the crazy prices I sometimes spend for them). We were debating if they might even increase in value much like what is happening in vintage these days.


I'm not counting on that but it is possible. Many of my shoes are very well made and very lightly used. But they are worn. I love them far too much just to look at them in their boxes. I want to wear them.

But I think, if I wanted too, I could get maybe 50% or so of their purchase price. Why? Because I see it happening on eBay now. In fact, here's a great example -



These little beauties are a fun pair of Manolo Blahniks that I got off of eBay a few years back. I'm not even really sure of what year they are from but, while I know they aren't current, I still think they are adorable.



They were were in great condition - immediately wearable. The back half is a spotted pony hair, and the front half is a black satin with black and white cording.



I was wearing these on Friday and I did break off heel tap (darn it!) so I do need to take them in now.



I think ankle ties can be dainty and elegant. Not necessarily chopping your leg at a bad point.



These sit below the ankle so that probably helps.





Yes, they're tall but, as always, so well made they're comfy. I mean that!



Now, I'm not planning on selling off my collection anytime soon. How many people in my size would like the same things that I do? But if I needed to, I think I could.

And maybe someday they will be coveted classics auctioned off at a big Christie's event.

3 comments:

eade said...

good taste never goes out of style. love those shoes. ;-)

WendyB said...

Those are lovely.

TheOnlineStylist said...

Oh Manolo...how we love you so!! They're great and never ever get rid! xx