Sunday, July 13, 2008

Please Send Good Thoughts

If you've ever looked at my profile you would have seen that I have another blog that I write called The Daily Coop. I'm not as good about updating it but it's all about my three chickens who we've only had about a year.

My main love is our rooster Napoleon. Napoleon loves me and I love him. He comes when I call him and he likes to snuggle down in my lap when I sit down. This is even more unusual as we have not had them since they were chicks.

Today Napoleon was attacked by a dog and hurt severely. I rushed him to the emergency vet and was there with him for hours. They've asked us to have him there for a bit and then call them back. I don't know what is going to happen with him. He's is so little.



Napoleon got hurt because he was bravely defending his girls (who were able to run and hide) from this large spaniel dog. The dog may have meant no harm but Napoleon is less than 5lbs and does not know that. He just wants to protect the two hens. They were unharmed but he was not.

Almost all of his feathers were ripped off and he has a puncture wound in his back. I was able to stop the dog, gather up Napoleon and rush him to the nearest after hours vet, which is actually not that near.

I'm sitting here in tears and covered with his blood. I know this is gruesome but please please please send any kind and healing thoughts his way. I don't' think I could bear it if he did not make it.

Thank you.

UPDATE: Napoleon is home right now. We have to give him pain shots in his chest every 2 - 4 hours. We have to give him liquid antibiotics orally. He has to stay by himself for a while too and not go into the coop. We're not sure for how long. We bought an XXL pop-up dog crate. It's soft and has good ventilation which will also keep out flies, we hope. We have him in the basement right now which doesn't have bugs and is dark and draft-free. He's out of shock but he's very very tired. We just left him in the cat carrier that we used to take him to the vet. We took off the door and put a towel over it. We're hoping he stays sleepy. I have the dryer going down there so maybe the noise will soothe him.

We'll keep updates going on The Daily Coop.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry this happened to your lovely rooster! I am really hoping he'll recover.

Poochie said...

Thank you!
Luv
Poochie

WendyB said...

Oh my God! That's terrible! Poor rooster. I hope he pulls through.

seberu said...

Poor Napoleon! I'll keep him in my thoughts and I'll be sending him rooster snuggles. :)

Anonymous said...

What an awful thing to happen and what a brave guy Napoleon is. Sending many healing thoughts his way and some for you too.

Poochie said...

Thank you all so much.

We gave him his first round of injections but it wasn't easy. I just hope he doesn't hate me after all of this. But as long as he is healthy that is all that counts. The girls looked so sad today with out him.

My biggest concern are the two punctures. I just hope the antibiotics keep him healing.

Poochie

TheOnlineStylist said...

Hope Napoleon is on the road to recovery - poor thing. I will send happy healing rooster wishes! x

Unknown said...

oh, no! I'll be sending healing thoughts to the poor little guy.

Anonymous said...

Oh my heart goes out to you and Napoleon. Glad he is in recovery, and sending positive vibes your way.

Anonymous said...

Poor thing I hope he'll soon recover!

Anonymous said...

Get better soon Napoleon!!!!!!!!!! Cluck Cluck!!

Dog Friendly Dallas said...

poor little guy...I hope he bounces back better than ever.

Katie said...

get well soon, napoleon! we're all wishing him well here. you must be so very proud of him for being so brave and defending his family.

Poochie said...

Thanks all!

He's hanging in there!

Luv
Poochie

Anonymous said...

Sending thoughts of strength and health your way from Tennessee!
Hang in there Miss Poochie!!!!
Leanne

queengilda said...

hey poochie, how's napoleon doing? i hope he's already better. getting feathers ripped out and puncture wounds sounds awfully painful. i'm sorry this happened.

Danielle said...

(((sending healthy chicken vibes)))

Poor baby :( I hope he's up and about in no time.