Friday, September 21, 2007

Get out your coats! Hell may be freezing over!

For a very very long time I have been a Payless-hater. I really looked down on their shoes as cheap (in the bad way, not the Target way) tacky, plastic and cardboard crap. To put it mildly. But I have to give them some credit. They are trying to update their image and product line and are taking cues from Target's capsule designer collections by pairing with the likes of Patricia Fields (stylist for Sex and the City, etc.), Abaeté, and Lela Rose.

And they aren't doing a bad job, either.

I really like the Abaeté line's Cabri Zip boots. And from some pictures I've seen, their Spring items, which will hit in February, look pretty cute.

But to keep my tailored menswear trend going - and to give me extra mileage for all of the cute cute socks I've bought, (I think I need some flat boots too, but that's a whole other story!), I was intrigued by they Lela Rose line at Payless. Now if you know me, you will know that this is like George Bush saying, "Hey, maybe that Al Gore does have a point about that global warming stuff." Shocking, unexpected and out-of-character. But, I try to be open-minded, ya know.

So anyhoo, Lela Rose. Capitol Hill Barbie brought these to my attention as I don't usually frequent the Payless stores or website. And I think they are pretty cute. Here are some of the runway shots -



One thing I did notice is that the runway versions are much more refined and look to be of a better quality than what they are selling to the masses. The red peep-toe for example is 1000% nicer than what I saw online. If the stores were selling that runway shoe with that heel, I would bolt right down there. But the heel on the actual product is much chunkier. So, a little deceptive advertising there, but what do you expect?

What I ended up buying were the three heels below. The black and brown versions of the Finsbury pump and the black Birchin t-strap.






I'm sure the material is very very faux, but at least I won't have to worry about them getting ruined or anything. And for $25 and $30 respectively, they are a good bargain. Shipping was free - or you can ship to any store for free and go pick them up. The good thing is that if you hate them, you can return them right there. The bad thing is that you have to go into an actual store.

; )

One thing I was surprised at is that not all the stores are getting them. Just as malls, some big box stores and department stores do, the "higher end" area Payless stores are getting the line while the rest of the schlubs are not. I can't believe Payless has the nerve to segregate product based on area household incomes. And where I live isn't a run-down area, but the store near me was not getting the line. It kind of ticked me off. How dare Payless look down on my area!

I can't believe I've been dissed by Payless. What is my world coming to?

No comments: